Library Travel Grants to Use the Manhwa Collection in the University of Washington East Asia LibraryThe UW East Asia Library is pleased to offer travel grants to scholars outside the Seattle/Tacoma area to conduct Korea-related research using the Manhwa (Korean graphic novel) collection in the East Asia Library of the University of Washington.
The East Asia Library’s Manhwa collection consists of over 15,000 volumes in Korean. It is the largest and most comprehensive Manhwa collection in North America. The collection mainly has publications from the 1980s thru the early 2000s when Korean graphic novels were mostly in print before moving to the online format called webtoon. The collection has comprehensive works by famous cartoonists such as Yi Hyon-se, Pak Pong-song, Ko Haeng-sok, Yi Sang-mu and many others.
Nearly 900 individual titles are already cataloged and available from the OCLC Worldcat database or the UW Library catalog for descriptions on these books. The remaining uncataloged materials (approx. 600 titles) are available in the Excel document format upon request.
GRANT AMOUNT: Up to $1,500 to cover travel expenses (air and lodging)
PRIORITY GIVEN TO APPLICANTS:
* who document how their research will benefit from access to the Manhwa collection at the UW and whose research will take advantage of our strengths
* Applications are being accepted. The application deadline is August 1, 2014.
* A total of two awards will be made.
* Awards must be used and receipts submitted by December 31, 2014.
* Each recipient is required to submit a short summary of the research accomplished with the grant within 30 days upon completion of the travel.
Submit (email applications preferred) a brief description of your research topic, sources in the collection you plan to use, a brief curriculum vitae, and an estimated budget to Hyokyoung Yi, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact Hyokyoung Yi.